Adding pauldrons to my leather jerkin. I had originally made a set of courbullio, wax impregnated leather shoulders for this armor that I used to wear with a chainmail apron, but that was some 20 years ago and they have been lost.
With a little care armor pieces will last many years so putting in some time to upgrade this old piece is a good investment.
I first made a paper pattern and traced it on the backside of the leather. In armor as in garb the pattern is everything. Also, good planning of resources, notice how I lay out my pattern to make the best use of my leather.
After cutting out the pieces I wet shaped them around a pipe and then let them dry. I used a space heater set on low to help speed the process.
Then I test fit them on my arm with the armor on to see how the fit . I marked them to make sure when I riveted them to the strapping I got the spacing right.
Setting the rivets. Using scrap leather I made two long straps that would hold the pieces together and allow them to float and move nicely. You don't want them to snug or they will lock the lames in place.
The top pieces were then trimmed and secured to the main piece. I added a loop to hols the pauldron to my biceps.